- Santhana Naidu, AVP of Marketing & Communications, Indiana State University
Today’s students use their phone for everything. How can you take advantage of this new normal and create mobile experiences that enhance the university experience?
- Our office of marketing and communications takes the lead with development of the campus mobile app.
- 20% of overall website traffic from mobile, was 4% in 2012
- ISU mobile launched in 2012, lasted about one year. It was not terribly popular because all it did was provide news feeds.
- Popular modules: classes, course catalog, dining, admissions, maps, email, athletics, rec center.
- Campus Tour (not in the app) is a great tool for us, especially for students who live in Chicago, which is a three-hour drive.
Private Social Network for New Admits
- Web platform with an attached app. We have about 1,000 users with 15,000 messages between them in our initial year.
- We give them a free sweatshirt if they sign up for the app.
- We’re a CampusBird campus; went live last Fall
- This is a big part of our communication toolset for our international students.
New – Kurogo 2.5
- Audience Profiles – 4 personas (current students, future students, Indiana State Onine, Alumni)
- Reduce clutter
- Increase relevance
New Sections: Preview Days
- Preview Days: audience: prospective students & families; activities: campus tour, meet faculty, info sessions on app & financial aid
- Orientation: freshman & xfer students; activities: housing, financial aid, meet new friends
- Fall Welcome: returning students & new students; activities: daily events, discover what’s new
- Integrated with ISU mobile
- Increase app engagement
- Piloting right now for Fall rollout
- Social and informational messages
- Future: tour app
- Target messages by categories & groups
- Users can customize how they want to receive notifications
- Message center within the app so that users can refer to the messages
- An easy to use backend interface for the administrator
- Ability for users to opt-in or out of certain optional message types
New – IDs
- Student/Employee IDs (cards with chips)
- Accessible through ISU Mobile
- Access to facility, transactions, etc.
- Email integration: what kind of usage are you seeing? It’s one of the top seven used, but I’m not sure off the top of my head.
- Are you using Blackboard mobile app, or did you integrate it? We have a read-only view into the Blackboard app (it’s not the Blackboard app)