- Matt Willmore, University of Notre Dame
Mobile is not just for IT anymore. Hear how schools are engaging other departments in mobile app development.
This is a very nuanced and more drawn-out process. Outreach to stakeholders is different on every campus, and I’d like to hear from you as well, so I’m hoping this is a more interactive presentation.
Notre Dame’s Challenges
- Each module contains info from a diff part of campus
- Lack of funding for paid additions (Publisher, Indoor Maps, etc.)
- Departments decide they need their own app
- Our CIO pays for “core functionality,” and other departments pay for the things that they want.
A Couple Other Challenges
Some people want to be in the app, but they don’t provide good content or even simply mobile-friendly content.
Vendors of bespoke apps (i.e. GuideBook) often reach out to everyone else on campus, and you’re unaware of the app until after ink is dry on their contracts.
- Address campus needs with a standard platform
- Save the university money
- Increase the app’s ROI
- Improve the user’s experience
- Engage departments that are interested in building an app or being in the app. Redirect some to MarCom to build a more responsive web site; make determination if they fit in the app, and where
- Discuss the balance between their interest in the app, and that of their users.
- Secure funding for the module
- Construct a content map together
- Build a skeleton structure module
- Train the department on how to build and maintain the content
- Launch and promote the module
Outcomes at Notre Dame
- Every module has a campus partner
- Over $100,000 saved by partnering in the app in under two years
- Our partners now advertise the app for us
- Went from pushing departments to participate, to departments pushing us to add functionality
- Built a community of Publisher champions
- Focus on how departments can better serve their users
- Don’t try to replicate the org structure in modules – users don’t care, and departments with related content can share costs
- Talk to your students, faculty and staff – what do they want in a module? How can we make their day easier?
New Community Resources
- Google Group: http://bit.ly/kurogolist
- Monthly Call 1st Wednesday @2PM Eastern