- Matt Willmore, University of Notre Dame
- Kris Rogers, Indiana State University
Are Beacons the future of messaging? How can you incorporate them on your campus to enhance the university experience?
Indiana State University
- We use three different types of beacons: Radbeacon Dot, X2, USB
- Shared a map of the areas they’re covering: Career Center, Quad, Book Store, USU
- Many of our partners downtown are working with us to strengthen relationships with our student body
Notre Dame University
- You need a BlueTooth 4.0 standard device (same tech used for FitBit, AppleWatch, and increasing amount of consumer devices.
- The largest housing Radius makes takes 4 AA batteries, and the vast majority of the size is taken up by the batteries.
- Low-cost, low-power one-way transmitter; transmits between 1 and 10 times per second; every transmission is the same: “I’m a beacon with the UUID [X], major identifier [Y] and minor identifier [Z]
- Can also do ranging, i.e. the phone can estimate how far away it is from the beacon.
- UUID: Universally Unique Identifier; a generated alphanumeric string that you assign to beacons to uniquely identify them.
- Major/minor identifiers: numbers to designate which beacon is transmitting.
CampaignKit is the brains behind the signaling and messaging
- 3 elements: places (beacons & geofences), content (the message), and campaigns
What do you need?
- Kurogo app with Radius SDK installed
- Active campaigns
- Users need device with Bluetooth 4, app installed, bluetooth enabled, notifications enabled for your app
- As close to traffic as possible while being out of the way
- Under tables or where people tend to congregate
- Consider weatherproof beacons for outdoor applications
- We label our beacons, with a spreadsheet to track them all
Beacons at Notre Dame
- Passive data collection (to find out how many people we could have reached in a given location over a give period of time)
- Targeted notifications at retail locations: food & bookstore
- Athletic venues
- Events like alumni reunion
- Line monitoring (presence monitoring for line length)
- Room availability
- Indoor navigation
- Can you opt-out of specific messaging? Not yet on the Kurogo platform.