- Beth Pfefferle, Modo Labs
- Morag Charlton, Modo Labs
Modules that Drive Traffic
- Top 3: courses/catalog, transit, registrar
- Other popular modules: admissions, alumni, campus ID cards, computer lab usage, NSO, parking, Student Rec, tours, webcams
Who’s the Customer? Primarily current students.
Involve Users Early and Often
Monitor your Analytics: downloads, sources, devices, time on app, etc.
Build anticipation: get users to test and become advocates; make pre-announcements and generate press; create a mobile brand, make it fun with a logo design contest to get students involved.
Launch & Post-Launch Activities
- Create consistent message across multiple channels
- Recruit MarCom
- Sustain momentum
- Create a QR code for easy download
- Email campaigns: targeted announcements with direct links to download page, create a drip campaign over time
- Create a landing page, post on student portal
- Posters, banners, displays
- Information cards
- Print and digital advertising (shuttle bus, electronic info boards)
- Live events, i.e. orientation, tours, etc.
- Press releases, news articles
- Social Media, wherever they congregate
- Videos: make it funny, creative and thought-provoking. They don’t have to be expensive to create. Use student videographers with blooper reel or do it yourself.
- Mobile ambassadors: train staff and volunteers, res life / orientation folk.
- Timing: target users early with new student information so using your app becomes routine.
- Keep them coming back by adding special event modules!
- Instantly add modules for any event or activity.
- Involve student orgs: academic advising/support, career advising, career fairs, campus recruiting, Greek Life, intl groups, student orgs & fairs, orientations for new students, tours, etc.
- Push notifications provide drastically higher engagement and retention. Examples: weather alerts, emergency updates, event promotion, good luck on finals, etc.
- Send push notifications to certain groups of users, like new students or alumni, using app Editions.
- Announce new modules and app features, share onboarding info strategically after initial download.
Created a Commencement module with publisher
- Module is already in the system
- A list of templates is provided
- Newspaper template has 2 sections: hero and call-to-action
- Added an image, link to map, plus location on the map
- Published to production immediately – took all of 5 minutes
- Messaging system can be used to notify users of new module availability – an additional 30 seconds