- Marshall Vale, Modo Labs
Modo Messaging turns your app into a powerful communication platform. Learn how you can drive engagement with messages to specific groups of users across multiple delivery channels.
What’s Going On In Mobile Engagement?
- In 2015, enabling push messages lead to 3x more app launches
- User retention is also 3x with push notifications than those who disable push
- On average, engagement for push enable users is 88% higher
What Have You Asked For?
- A way to see prior pushes
- Way to send to individuals & groups
- Want to delegate access
- Improved metrics
Introduced Cloud Messaging
- Major enhancement to our messaging capabilities
- New GUI admin
- New message center in the app to see prior push msgs and details
- Approval process for message sending
- New advanced targeting capabilities that can be added to your messaging package: create personal channels with restricted audience lists to facilitate delegation
Let’s Send a Message!
- Marshall gave a live demo of the cloud messaging tool to schedule sending a message to conference attendees
Messages vs Notifications
- Base element in the system is a message
- A message may have one or more notifications
- Notification types include push, SMS, etc.
- Enables other people on campus to leverage messaging model of mobile apps
- Campus app becomes critical communications mechanism due to students’ behavior change away from email
- Public (locations, personas)
- Personal (overdue tuition, class of 1986, commuters)
- Extends a variety of governance models to the whole campus (central approval, departmental approval, can roll out over time)
- An institution will have a single organizational entry
- Roles: admin, editor, approver
- Channels: can segregate types of communications; filter messaging to different groups.
- How do we connect a user to a device? With authenticated users! A single authenticated user may have multiple device identifies associated (iPhone, iPad, laptop)
- Attributes are flat, no schema, and entirely definable by the organization.
- New place to see a list of all messages that have been received
- Coming soon: geo-targeting of devices (people at a football game); subscription channels (social activity groups); SMS notification mechanism