- Marc Fox, Senior Director, Enterprise Systems, CSUS
- Shiva Pillai, Strategic Data Analyst, CSUS
CSU Grad Initiative 2010: Sac State’s “Challenge”
- Increase grad rates
- Systemwide grad rate: just over 50% of students graduate in 6 years
- Sac State grad rate: just over 43% of students graduate in 6 years
- Goal: increase 6 year FT from 43% – 51%
- Goal: increase transfer rate from 63% – 68%
Theme Group & Directives
- ID students who are making progress
- Develop new ways to assign registration appts in supporting this goal
- Find ways to recognize and report a student’s progress toward degree
- How to measure?
- Develop a points system based on student’s progress towards their degree – measuring completion of acad reqs in their academic program?
- Keep it simple, fair, and easy to explain
Points system for measuring progress to degree (points do NOT equal to units/credit hours)
- GE reqs: 40 points (lower division GE: A=7.5, B=7.5, C=7.5, D=7.5, E=3.0) Upper division GE: 7.0 (total GE points)
- Major reqs: 50 points (Declare a major=8, Major=42 points; pre-majors/impacted majors 14, associated majors = 28)
- Additional reqs: 10 points (<150 units/credits=5, academic good standing=5)
Q: did academic senate need to approve? Yes, they did weigh in.
- Degree audit driven by requirements group (RG)
- Partial completion of RG deserves partial points
- Keep it fair
And then..why not
- Meters are visible to students, advisors, administrators
- Real time in self service: progress meters calculated in real time
- Snapshot for registration appointments: snapshot of the progress meters is taken the weekend prior to assigning registration appointments.
Keys to Degree Toolbox icons/links are located on a static web page that make access to these tools easy.
Self Service – Real Time Meters
- Only 1 CAAR report value in the SAA_ADB_RESULTS table
- Meters are calculated real time with SAA_ADB_RESULTS table
- TCe/Substitutions/Grade changes effective immediately
- CAAR reports are batch updated at key points in time during term for all undergrads
- Priority Groups: vets, students with disabilities, athletes, honors program
- Grad Seniors: current semester, subsequent semester
- Total # of units earned: seniors, Grads Juniors, Sophomores, Freshman
- 2014 seniors were allotted registration appointments based on progress to degree reports
Overall: we’re getting our most efficient and productive students out quicker.
- Easy to understand the progress meters
- Real time data
- Early turning in substitution and waivers
- Prompt submission of e-transcripts or late transcripts
- Impact of multiple major changes
Batch Advisement Processes
- ADMIN – CAAR Batch
- Last weekend of each month
- Freshman, Sophomores, and Juniors
- Seniors run separately
- Run time @ 36 hours
- Refresh tables for accurate reporting
Reporting – Query/Data Warehouse
- Student progress by dept/plan/class level
- Combine progress to degree data with any other tables
Other stuff we did
- We created Financial Aid FA Meters for Pell Grant, State Grand, and Federal Load
- We also added a what-if progress to degree comparison tool within
- Future development: cloud, mods & bolt-ons, new technology?